At the turn of the century, Midtown began to flourish as the second residential neighborhood for the city of Houston after Allen’s Landing. This area now South of the Central Business District was better known as Southside place, predominantly developed as single family Victorian style homes on small lots of approximately 5000 square feet. The homes were generally 4000 – 6000 square feet in size and occupied by families of the original founders of the Humble Oil & Refinery Company. The subdivision flourished through the mid 1940′s and began to decline into the 1980′s and 90′s as a result of the sudden decline in oil production.
Houston’s population grew less than one percent between 1980 & 1990 and the area that includes Midtown was the only district in the state of Texas to lose population during this time. The make-up of the neighborhood better known as Midtown after 1990 was comprised of vacant land, boarded up buildings, a few single family residences and a few prosperous businesses in the area. Generally the area had been marred by blight lack of direction and very little cohesiveness, all of which led to the revitalization efforts that exist today.